That & Which
That - is used with restrictive phrases; restrictive phrases are phrases that are essential to the sentence
- The shirt that you lent me is in my bag.
- The food store that I go to all the time is closed today.
- The house that I wanted to buy has been sold.
- The house that I bought was a good deal.
Which - is used with non-restrictive phrases; non-restrictive phrases are phrases that state non essential information
- The shirt, which is red is in my bag.
- The house,which I didn't want to buy has been sold.
- The store, which is near my house is not open today.
- The books, which I did not buy is still on sale.
Tip1: A non-restrictive phase can be omitted from the sentence.
Tip2: A comma is placed before the word "which".