Check Spelling - Editing & Proofreading
Here are guidelines for checking spelling mistakes when proofreading and editing.
- Print out a hard copy of the document.
- Check the spelling of each word separately.
- Don't rely on the computer's spell checker!
- Use a pencil that is not the same color as the text.
- Physically touch each word with a pencil.
- Use a dictionary for words that look close to other words.
- Use a dictionary for words that you are not sure of how they are spelt.
- Ask someone else to double check your paper!