English The Easy Way
Other - Another - The Other
Another – is used with singular nonspecific countable nouns; a/an are not need
- I do not like that book. Do you have another book?
- I do not want to look for another problem. I have enough problems.
- I do not like my car. I want to buy another car.
Other – is used with plural or uncountable nonspecific nouns
- I do not like those books. Do you have other books?
- Do you have other kinds of cakes? I do not like yellow cake.
- I do not want to look for any other problems. I have enough problems.
The Other – is used with specific singular, plural countable and uncountable nouns
- I do not like these books. I want the other book that is in your room.
- I do not like that yellow cake. Can I have the other cake on the shelf.
- We want to go to the other food store, that is up the street.